SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Converse College soccer team dropped its season finale to UNC Pembroke by the final of 5-0 on Tuesday evening at Hayden Abney Fulp Field. Pembroke tallied three goals in the first half, followed by two in the second to earn the non-conference win.
Score: UNCP 5, Converse 0
Records: UNCP (13-4), Converse (2-15)
Location: Hayden Abney Fulp Field, Converse College, Spartanburg, S.C.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Three different players registered a shot for the Valkyries.
- Darian Bankston played all 90 minutes in goal, collecting seven saves.
- UNC Pembroke outshot Converse by a total of 21-3.
- The Braves took seven corners, while Converse did not earn a corner kick.
- Rilee Seering led all players with five shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Valkyries defense was on point early in the game, fending off several shots by the Braves, holding even at 0-0. However, that changed in the 19' as Pembroke broke through on the scoreboard following a goal by Rilee Seering.
That lead doubled in the 33' as Seering posted her second goal of the contest. Bayley Dawson added a score two minutes before the half to send UNC Pembroke into the brief intermission with a 3-0 lead.
Pembroke continued to put points on the board in the second half, collecting goals in the 55' and 75' minutes to run the score to 5-0 late in the contest. Serena White looked poised to put Converse on the board, but her shot in the 80' was corralled by the Braves keeper.
From that point Pembroke milked the clock on its way to the 5-0 win.